Friday, February 1, 2013

Watching Lacrosse DVDs

I have to admit, I ve spent the rent money on Lacrosse DVDs. Some are outstanding, some are outstanding at putting you to sleep. Anyone new to the game can go to Championship productions and browse a huge library. A lot of them have excerpts on Youtube. If you go on the site and see one thats interesting, search youtube first to see if you can catch a preview. Out of respect to some great coaches who I pale in comparison to in experience, I will only list the ones that I have found useful. I’ve see approx. 40 different instructors (which is not all of them) to come up with a short list. #1 Jim Berkman, Salisbury - everyone of his are awesome. I ran a JV team an entire year with ONLY his drills and they improved ten fold. #2 Mark Millon (U Mass, Baltimore Bayhawks) - offensive wizardry- any one who plays offense, teaches offense or want to learn how to teach offensive skills needs this video. Its been out there awhile and is still unsurpassed. 3#Dave Pietramala (Hopkins) - Developing on ball defenders - A classic. Very basic, but if you watch it and really listen you will see what exactly is important in defense stance, footwork, and how to. Hopkins defensive drills, taught by the greatest defenseman that ever lived. I’ve watched literally 50 times. When I run a D clinic for boys, I mirror his DVD. 4# Anything from Starsia (Virginia), Danowsky (Duke) or Corrigan (ND) has merit and are worth the price. Starsia’s and Danowsky’s stuff are keen on fundamentals and techniques, Corrigan's show more of an advanced level of drills and terminology. If you have and extra $100 laying around the full access 3 DVD sets are really cool. You actually see a full practice run by the top lacrosse coaches on the planet. Again no disrespect to coaches I haven’t seen all of them...but I’m working on it. B